DAC kao preamp

maxa78

• 4 weeks later...
On 2.8.2022. at 19:19, lalelala said:

Probao sam Auralic Vegu i Gustarda A21 AKM , mada su to daleko inferiorniji DAC-ovi ot tvog ciljanog budžeta . 

U oba slučaja je to radilo samo OK ali ne i dobro.Digitalna kontrola glasnoće je za sada što sam čuo jedino na Devialetu dobro realizovavana. Ne kažem da nema drugih dobrih primena ali ja ih nisam čuo do sada.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/lumin-p1-network-player-preamplifier/

Ovo je konkretno i preamp (sa integrisanim DAC-om i streamer-om), ali nije poenta u tome - i ostali Lumin streamer-i koriste Leedh.

"It is easy to turn Leedh on and off in the app to compare it to a conventional digital-domain volume control, as well as to no volume control. When the volume is set at “100” or the output level is set to “fixed,” both Leedh and the conventional volume controls are bypassed.

When I applied 30dB of attenuation with the conventional volume control, an entire level of low-level detail was shaved off. There was simply less musical information there, from quiet sounds at the back of the mix to the inner detail of instrumental timbre. Percussion instruments sounded like nothing more than transient clicks, the mechanism by which the sound was created was lost. On Norah Jones’ debut album, her voice was harder and a bit coarse with the conventional volume control, and was overlaid with a roughness and stridency, particularly on louder passage in the higher end of her register. When I switched to the same amount of attenuation with Leedh, the sound became more liquid and refined overall, with the low-level detail restored. The bite on the leading edge of the guitar was gone, replaced by a more natural rendering of the instrument’s attacks and dynamics. With Leedh, Jones’ voice became more immediate and palpable, with a human quality missing from the mechanical rendering I heard with conventional digital-domain attenuation. Finally, unlike the conventional volume control that flattened the soundstage and reduced the sense of air, Leedh maintained the presentation’s three-dimensionality and bloom.

I then compared 30dB of Leedh attenuation with no attenuation by making up the volume difference with the CH Precision L10 preamplifier. To my surprise, I heard no degradation with Leedh; the two presentations sounded identical (the L10 was in the signal path for both presentations). It was clearly obvious that this amount of attenuation in a conventional digital volume control was a non-starter sonically, and that Leedh is sonically “lossless,” as the company claims. This is, to say the least, a significant achievement."